Want to know more about our Director Callum? Read on to find out more about his role, what got him into the industry, and what he enjoys doing in his spare time…
1) What was your first ever job?
I worked as a barman in my local pub.
2) Why did you get into the energy sector?
I was lucky to have an opportunity to work for one of the first energy brokers in the UK. I was excited to make a difference to SMEs by helping them switch suppliers and save on their energy costs.
3) Tell us a bit about your role?
I am responsible for running BEC and ensuring that we effectively evolve the utilities sector to become more transparent and ethical. This includes meeting with clients, our partners and our panel of law firms to progress the cases we have for our clients.
4) What do you hope to achieve at BEC?
Our aim is to change the business energy market enough that brokers (TPIs) remove miss-selling and become more transparent. Working with energy regulators, we hope that all businesses will be treated fairly and transparently by energy brokers, ensuring they are truly achieving a good deal on their energy agreements.
5) How would you describe yourself in 3 words?
Ambitious, rational and passionate.
6) If you could give one piece of advice to your younger self, what would it be?
Don’t get too downbeat about adversity and disappointment. Things going against you and not as well as you would hope are prerequisites for greatness. Dealing with them with bravery and courage will help you to strive in the future.
7) What are the values that drive you?
Honesty, loyalty and respect.
8) What do you enjoy doing when you’re not working?
I enjoy being active and participating in sports, so I’m often playing football or going to the gym. I also enjoy taking my dog Monty, an Australian shepherd, for long walks as I find it helps clear my mind and makes me feel refreshed.
9) Tell us something about you that would surprise people?
I am very grounded and care very much for other people.
10) If you had a superpower, what would it be and why?
I’d quite like the ability to fly. I enjoy flying when going on holiday so it would be good to have this ability all of the time.